Thursday, April 11, 2013

April 11 (Day 25) - Derrick Knob Shelter to Double Spring Gap Shelter

Packrat, Smalls, and Dark Age got an early start, but Hammy and I lingered at Double Spring Gap.  I developed several blisters, during the previous evening's hike, and spent the morning addressing them.  Meanwhile, Hammy got some beauty rest...for four hours.

A hail storm was predicted to start sometime in the afternoon, and we hurried to Silers Bald Shelter.  Once there, we stopped briefly for a snack and to greet other hikers.  Since the next shelter was only 1.7 miles away, we decided to press our luck and set out to hike a bit further.

We, again, met up with the Warrior Hike contingent, as well as Smalls and Dark Age.  Though, Packrat had apparently pushed farther.  Hammy and I set up camp and began cooking.
 
I had the misfortune of discovering Foster's cans, even ones coated with heat-resistant paint, do not survive repeated exposure to open flame.  My pot stand collapsed, spilling my boiling water on the ground, and I was forced to hold the pot over my stove, while I boiled more.

Around 9 PM, the storm finally arrived.  Gusty winds, rain, and hail assaulted our tents, while lightning crackled all around us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment