Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April 3 (Day 17) - Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Bald (Byrne Memorial Tower)

At 7:15 AM, we hopped a shuttle bound for the First Baptist Church in Franklin. The kind folks there prepared breakfast for us, and we devoured pancakes and bacon to our hearts' content. We signed their Class of 2013 banner and had photographs taken to send home.

After riding the shuttle back to the Sapphire Inn, we prepared to depart on the day's hike. Another shuttle deposited us at Winding Stair Gap.

I began the hike with a quick stride and soon lost sight of my companions. At the trail to Siler Bald Shelter, I paused for lunch from my pack, assuming the others would catch up. Though, after an hour, I became concerned.

Several hikers stopped and asked why I was waiting, and I was forced to endure lectures on the subject. It was the opinion of these hikers that I needed to move on, to not establish permanent attachments that might impact my hike. I sat and thought on the subject, while I waited for my companions.

Something occurred to me, the first of what I'm sure will be many lessons on this hike. There are some things that I don't want to change about myself. I do like some things about myself, and one of those is my values.

Symbolically, my companions represent friendship, compassion, and love. Yes, there are things I want in life, goals that I have. However, I am unwilling to sacrifice friendship, compassion, and love to reach those goals. I am unwilling to forsake my values, to forsake who I am at my very core, to reach those ends.

My companions eventually arrived. El Gato hiked ahead, while Hammy, Packrat, and I enjoyed the view from atop Siler Bald. The three of us proceeded at a leisurely pace and made camp on Wayah Bald, as it grew dark. We assumed that El Gato had made it to Wayah Bald Shelter.



No comments:

Post a Comment