Tuesday, June 18, 2013

June 17 (Day 91) - Random Campsite to Waynesboro, VA

I had gotten it my head that I wanted to be in New York by July 4th, but as I accelerated away from Stretch, Siren, and Odie, I didn't feel altogether right about my decision.  I do enjoy the high mileage days, off on my own.  However, the trail, this adventure, seems to be more about the people I meet and the experiences I have, rather than actually reaching Katahdin.  Make no mistake, I want to summit Katahdin, but I also want to remain open to everything this experience has to teach me.

At Reed's Gap, I hitched to a nearby gas station.  I ate some amazing barbeque for lunch and returned to the trail with four 12-packs of soda/iced tea.  I set the trail magic near the trail and left a note for my former companions.

Mailman and I leapfrogged for the remainder of the day, reaching the barricade at Waynesboro around 9:30 PM.  Mailman called a trail angel to transport us into town.  My initial intent was to find a place to charge my phone and head into Shenandoah to camp for the night.  However, the moment we stepped into the vehicle, the skies opened up and burst forth a torrential downpour.  As such, I rode with Mailman to the Super 8 and secured a room for the night.

I tried to be productive.  But, since it was late and I'd not slept well for the past few days, I passed out, shortly after relaxing on the bed of my room.




No comments:

Post a Comment