Saturday, June 22, 2013

June 22 (Day 95) - Pinefield Hut to Bearfence Hut

The morning began much as the previous night had ended; that is to say it began with noisy Boy Scouts.  The group, including the leaders decided to congregate around the shelter, even though none had actually slept inside it.  The norm, out here on the trail, is to move away from anyone who may be sleeping and to be as quiet as possible.  This contingent did the opposite, gathering around those sleeping in the shelter at the crack of dawn.

As icing on the cake, one rather obnoxious young man scoffed at my tent (bug netting) being set up inside the shelter.  Since I was standing nearby and less than amused with the situation, I may have retorted in a less than cordial manner.  I was...rather grumpy, this morning.

I hiked to Swift Run Gap and decided to step into Elkton for lunch.  Unfortunately, it has gotten noticeably more difficult to secure a hitch, as we move north, and I spent the better part of an hour with my thumb out.  In fact, I walked halfway to town (perhaps, mumbling expletives with regard to Virginia), before someone finally gave me a lift.

After lunch and waiting for my phone to charge at the Country Store and Deli, I set about finding a ride back to the trail.  I experienced the same difficulty in getting back as I did in getting to town.  Fast forward an hour, Odie arrived at the store; he managed to score us a ride from a gentleman, who had stopped for gas.

Back on the trail, I met up with Jungle Jim, and we hiked into the twilight hours, finally reaching Bearfence Hut.

No comments:

Post a Comment