Sunday, June 30, 2013

June 24 (Day 97) - Rock Spring Hut to Luray, VA

Though I was suffering a bit of a hangover, I pulled myself together and began hiking around 8:30 AM.  Shortly thereafter, I encountered another black bear in the middle of the trail.  I thought that I'd snap a photo with my phone, but the bear was apparently averse to having its picture taken.  It charged toward me, and I found myself backpedaling, waving my trekking poles and singing Uke's bear deterrent song:

"Go away, bear.  I ain't got time for you, bear."

I hitched a ride into Luray, intent upon securing a mail drop, eating lunch, and returning directly to the trail.  However, as I sat outside Dollar General, G Money (aka Sweet Cheeks) and Gandolf walked by me.  I called to them and waved.  Then, the two joined me, and we sat, conversing, for a few hours.

As it grew late in the day, the three of us decided to split a room at the Best Western in Luray.  Gandolf and I were particularly pleased that the hotel had On Demand...for free.  Beers in hand, we watched Game of Thrones until the wee hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment