Friday, May 10, 2013

May 10 (Day 54) - Zero Day in Damascus, VA

After a late night of unwinding, Spam and I decided to stay another day in Damascus.  We secured our room at the MRO hostel for another night, and I set about cleaning my gear.  As I was cleaning my tent in a sink at the side of the hostel, I noticed a man walk up and begin rummaging through my stuff sacks.  I asked him what he was doing, and he seemed startled.  He tried to make some small talk; then, he hurriedly wandered away.

Damascus is touted to be the "friendliest town on the trail," but in reality, it simply isn't true.  I felt comfortable leaving my pack unattended in southern trail towns, but here, in Virginia, I noticed a change in the atmosphere.  Granted the church groups and hiking enthusiasts are friendly, but Damascus seems to attract parasites, seeking to steal from hikers.  I've heard quite a few stories of gear going missing, later to appear at the local pawn shop...ready to be sold back to hikers.

Moreover, the locals treat hikers like infidels; gone are the smiles and pleasant greetings shown by Georgians and North Carolinians.  And, the local businesses (excluding Mt. Rogers Outfitters) seem more interested in making a buck than helping hikers.




No comments:

Post a Comment