Monday, May 6, 2013

May 6 (Day 50) - Moreland Gap Shelter to Hampton, TN

As I awoke this morning, it seemed like it would be another dismal, damp day.  The cold rain fell rhythmically on my tent, and I dreaded the arduous task of breaking camp in such weather.  Though, the wet chill compelled me to move quickly, and I set off around 9:30 AM.

Not long into my hike, the sun broke through the clouds, and the weather improved dramatically.  I hiked the six miles to Kincora and secured a bunk for the night.  Leaving most of my gear at the hostel, I set out to slackpack/trailrun the 10 miles from Kincora to Hampton.  Upon reaching Route 321, I hitched a ride into Hampton and stocked up on supplies at a local market, Brown's.  Then, Bob Peoples brought some other hikers into town, and I was able to get a ride back to Kincora.

Back at the hostel, Baltimore Jack prepared an amazing spaghetti dinner, which we ravenously devoured.  Then, I had an intense conversation with The Dude (aka Brandon) until late into the night, spanning Richard Feynman, Brian Green, Bell's Theorem, Chaos, String Theory, freewill, and the probabilistic versus deterministic nature of the universe.  (I've so missed such intellectual banter, and I sorely miss academia.)

Addendum:  Today was the first time that I met G Money (aka Sweet Cheeks).  She was sitting at a sign near where I was hitchhiking from Route 321 into Hampton.  I attempted to generate conversation, asking her which way was the direction to town.






No comments:

Post a Comment